08 September 2009

Puppies These Days: A Post from Mitch

Man, I was so excited about this weekend. I'd been waiting for months to meet my new dog cousin, Fletcher. My mom and dad told me about how cute he is, and I smelled him on them last time they went to visit Uncle Hugh and Aunt Cassie. I thought to myself, "Oh, how fun. I can teach him about bones and snuggling and ropes." I pictured us running and playing and then snuggling on the couch eating a bone (that is, until I would teach him to bury things). I mean, look how cute and cuddly he is! I couldn't wait to mentor this adorable young pup!

But Fletcher had other ideas--ideas that involved attacking me for hours. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I had to show young Fletcher my vicious side a little earlier than expected. . .
But it didn't seem to phase him.

I just don't understand why Fletcher isn't more like my friends Iris and Opal. I mean, they were nice and calm when they were puppies. Hell, they still are pretty calm (except for when Iris makes me play chase).


But Fletcher, he's obstinate.

He's relentless.

And fearless.
But he loves me. And I love him.

And in time he's going to be a loyal friend. He'll be calm and he'll tire out more easily. We'll bark at things and eat treats and sneak up on the couch.

Fletcher, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails