31 October 2009

I'm a Baller

BAKING SODA CAN GO BAD. Know this. It seems to go bad very quickly in humid climates. (Such as my pantry in Savannah)

Case in point: Thursday's vanilla cupcakes. I've made these cupcakes at least a dozen times. But this time they resembled the Great Plains. I feel like I'm going to see a prairie dog pop out of them at any moment. Dammit.
But I'm cheap, and I didn't want the cake to go to waste. It still tasted good; it just wasn't fluffy and beautiful.

And I remembered that I had seen this recipe for these cake ball things. Something about crumbled cake mixed with icing, rolled into balls and coated with chocolate. The first time I heard of them I thought they were pretty stupid, but I figured I'd give them a try. I already had some vanilla cake and some pumpkin cream cheese icing. Why the hell not?

When I told Cassie that I was making cake balls, she responded, "Ew, don't make those. They're so handled." But Cassie's judgmental, and I'd washed my hands. So I mushed that shit together. And it looked like, well, shit.

But I thought I should keep an open mind. I'm always so judgmental myself, and I should try out new things, even if I might think they're stupid.

So I balled them up.

And stuck them in the freezer.

And I whipped out my white chocolate chips.
And started to melt them using a double boiler.

But they weren't melting very well.

So I stuck the bowl of semi-melted white chocolate in the microwave.

Where it began to cook/burn from the inside out. Dammit.

I returned the chocolate to the double boiler, added some buttermilk, and began to stir. Looking better. . .

And I started to coat those balls!
And they looked decent enough. (Kind of like super decadent doughnut holes!)

And when I bit into them, they tasted like. . .
SHIT. F'ING DISGUSTING!

The verdict: if your first impression of something is that it is stupid, you should trust your instincts. (This applies to people as well.) Also, don't put white chocolate in the microwave, and replace your baking soda every three months.

Cake balls are stupid, and Cassie was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails