21 October 2009

Sweet Valley High--THE MOVIE!

Did you read the Sweet Valley books as a kid (or as a teenager, or yesterday)? I devoured them, captivated by the fantasy of being a twin, of being blonde and beautiful, of living a glamorous life in California. I remember being in third grade, discussing plans for the future with one of my friends: "Well, I'm going to have twin girls, and I'll name them Jessica and Elizabeth." There was nothing cooler (until, of course, 90210 came along) than the Wakefield twins.

I had two favorite Sweet Valley Twins books, the one where the girls skip school to see a TV star (Playing Hooky), and the one where all of the girls attend a sham charm school run by con artists (The Charm School Mystery). I read each of them over and over again.

I even own the Sweet Valley High board game (I also own the Family Ties board game, and Friends Scene It!), the same one I played at a slumber party when I was eight.

The details of the game deserve their own post. It's a blast from the past. But here's a sneak peek. Yes, it says, "Can you find your boyfriend in time for the big date?"
As the twins got older and attended high school, the content got more racy. It was awesome.
Imagine my excitement, then, when last night I read in Entertainment Weekly that Diablo Cody (who wrote the screenplay for Juno) is working on a Sweet Valley High movie.

I'll be there on opening night, wearing purple. I am, after all, an honorary Unicorn.

3 comments:

  1. yessssss! also, i might be a contender for Friends scene-it. when phebe and i come to savannah, let's play!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Sweet Valley books and I randomly mentioned them to someone right before the article about Diablo Cody optioning the screenplay came out. The timing was oddly poetic.

    Do book stores still sell the Sweet Valley books? Hmmmm, I wonder where mine went.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I really wish I had mine, too. I think there are updated Sweet Valley books. Probably full of text messages and STDs.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails