11 September 2010

Did JMU Really Beat Virginia Tech?

Yeah they did!

I don't normally give a rat's ass about college football, but today I do.  (Matt always cares about college football, and what I thought would be a Sophie's Choice type of situation really isn't.  Matt's giddy about the win.  So is Mitch.  When I got home today he demanded that I put on his JMU collar.)

The first weekend I was at JMU, our football team headed south to Blacksburg to get pummelled by Virginia Tech.  The score was something like 69-0.  It was out of control bad.  Later I learned that Virginia Tech actually pays JMU to play the game in the first place--a sort of ego boost, I suppose.

Today, a little more than eleven years later (has it really been that long?), JMU trounced those silly turkeys

JMU's not a big football school--hell, the football team doesn't even play in division one.  And that's precisely what makes this victory so remarkable.  A few nights back, Virginia Tech came close to beating Boise State, a team that's supposedly very good (and could win it all, I guess). 

And now, tonight, they lost to JMU.  I wonder if Mickey Matthews was just having the Dukes watch inspirational pep talks from Coach Taylor in the locker room?

Because I can tell you one thing: Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.



Oh, to be in Harrisonburg right now, singing the fight song and actin' a fool.



Oh, and one more thing.  Looks like someone's been talking to Miss Cleo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails