20 September 2010

Fossil Cookies!

Hey, remember that time that Christina sent me this adorable little tin of culinary lavender?  Remember that time that she was going to come visit (ahem, Christina!) and we were going to rub the lavender all over our faces while watching Friday Night Lights and eating ice cream and cupcakes?  Yeah, me too. 


And remember that time that our oven broke, except that it's not broken anymore because we're renters and when something breaks we just call someone and they come fix it?  Yeah, me too.

And remember that time that my good friend Cris got me a subscription to Martha Stewart Living?

And remember that time that I took the lavender, and baked something delicious from Martha Stewart Living using my newly-fixed oven?  Oh, you don't?  Well, I must share, then.

So, I'd been determined to make something delicious with the lavender.  Christina sent me some lavender ice cream recipes, but I wasn't really in the mood for ice cream on Saturday.  Plus, it's hard to share ice cream, and then I just end up eating all of the ice cream and getting fatter and fatter until I can't move.  So, to prevent people from having to tear down walls just to get me out of the house, I decided not to go with ice cream.

But cookies I could do.  (Actually, cookies I can't do.  I find cookies to be the most irresistible of all treats, and could easily eat 150.  I would like to enter a cookie-eating contest.  Then I would like to enter a throwing up contest because I'd eat so many cookies that I'd have to throw up immediately, kind of like that time I won that pie-eating contest in college.)  Lavender cookies. 

I searched around a little on the ol' internets, and stumbled upon this blog, Our Life in the Kitchen.  By the by, Karen the blogger takes the most amazing pictures of her food, and she's a Publix enthusiast, so I kind of love her.  Karen had a recipe for Lavender Shortbreads, and I decided that it would be an easy recipe to adapt to create what I was craving.

So I made the dough.  And while it was chilling for what was supposed to be like two hours, I fell asleep--for ten hours.  Oops.  The next morning I awoke with lavender shortbreads on the brain, and before I even brushed my hair or teeth or changed out of my pajamas, I was rolling out the cookies. 

And while batch #1 (the grown-up batch) was baking, I remembered. . .the October issue of Martha Stewart Living had something pretty cool, Fossil cookies.  Basically, all you do is make an imprint in the cookie dough with a plastic bug.  And of course I have plastic bugs!  Who doesn't? (So fun to put in drawers to scare people!)

Here's my adapted recipe for Lavender Shortbread Cookies. 

Ingredients

3 sticks of butter (these are NOT health cookies)
1 cup of sugar
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons dry lavender
1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)

Directions

Preheat oven to 300.  Cream the butter until it's very light and fluffy.  Slowly beat in sugar, lavender, and vanilla paste.  Slowly add flour and salt.  The dough will be stiff.  Chill for a couple of hours or longer.  Roll into 1" balls.  Place the balls on cookie sheets and butter the bottom of a glass.  Dip bottom of buttered glass into sugar, and use it to smash down the balls.  Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are browned. 

(For fossil bug cookies, smash the plastic bug into the dough after you've flattened it with the glass.)


Lavender shortbread cookies for grown-ups:


Lavender shortbreads for kids (and dogs who are mad because you put them on diet dog food because they gained five pounds, but who guilt you into sharing shortbread with them, which is probably why they gained five pounds in the first place):


4 comments:

  1. So jealous your's turned out! I've tried these twice and have failed both times :(

    Gave you a shout out on my blog!
    http://mommagoround.blogspot.com/2010/10/marthayou-lie.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. when you say sticks of butter - what size are they? (I have only bought butter by the pound)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina, perhaps mine turned out because I accidentally chilled the dough overnight? You could probably use the same recipe I did (with or without the lavender), which was different from the one that was featured in the magazine.

    Selmada, I was using the sticks of butter that are 8 tablespoons. I used unsalted butter, but since this is shortbread, you could probably use salted butter with no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails