15 September 2010

Making Lemonade. . .

. . .out of pizza.

I'm here to share the final two meals included in Operation: Cook New Stuff.  New recipe #4 was Jonathan Waxman's Pizza with Bacon, Parmesan, Scallions and Tomato.  It looked a little bit amazing on the picture, and it sounded like the process part would be fun, too.  So, Sunday, before the herd of little girls came over, I made the dough, chopped up the rest of the ingredients for the toppings, and shredded about a half of a block of parmesan cheese. 

And then the girls and I made cupcakes and I put them in the oven--the broken oven.  Mother effer.

It was annoying enough that I couldn't enjoy a purple vanilla bean cupcake (and I feared a mutiny from the little ladies), but then when I realized that the broken oven would preclude me from making dinner, too, I was VERY annoyed.  Mother effer.

So Matt and I brainstormed, and I did some research on the Google, and we decided that we could grill the pizza.  We found a little tutorial, and embarked on our pizza grilling adventure (not quite as "livin' on the edge" as lighting the oven from underneath when the whole kitchen already smells like gas, but an adventure nonetheless). 

Grilled pizza #1 was a bit of a trainwreck, but a learning experience.  Pizza #2, well that baby was awesome. 


Here's Waxman's recipe for the pizza.  If you're like us, you'll laugh out loud at the part where he suggests putting 1/4 cup of cheese on two pizzas.  We used much more than that.  Of course, we hadn't gotten our parmesan from Parma as he suggested.  I won't be there again until the end of the month.

And, new meal #5 was this one from my friend Martha: Pasta with Prosciutto and Peas.  Mmmmmmmmmmm. 

(Martha's picture, not mine)

It was so good that I ate two bowls at dinner, and then had to muster up every ounce of willpower to quit.  Then I ellipted for forty minutes and decided to eat another bowl.  Then I had it for lunch today and was in heaven.  And, guess what?  We're making it for dinner again on Friday.*  Clearly, I highly recommend it.  (Also, I am a pea addict.  I will sometimes just eat pea sandwiches as a snack.  They're the healthier first cousin of the potato chip sandwich.)

*Do I really have to wait that long?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails