06 December 2010

Peppermint Ice Cream


I love ice cream.

Did you know that? 

I also love peppermint.

I do not love Peppermint Patty from the Charlie Brown cartoons.  She's obnoxious. 


(But I do love Lucy from Charlie Brown, mostly because she and I share a Myers-Briggs personality type, the ENTJ.)
 

But back to the ice cream, and the peppermint.

Now, I'd love to tell you that I followed this recipe exactly, or to accurately inform you of any changes I made to the recipe.

But here's the thing.  It was Saturday night when I made it.  I had been chatting on the phone for hours, and drinking wine way more quickly than I realized.  There was broken glass in the sink (which probably accounts for some of the cuts on my fingers).  RIP, wine glass.

So, anyway, I'm pretty sure that I remember my changes, but I can't make any guarantees.

What I can tell you is that this ice cream is really delicious, and really pretty, and a perfect after-dinner bite.


And if you're a fan of the marriage of peppermint and ice cream, then soldier on and make this stuff already!

Peppermint Ice Cream (adapted from this recipe)

Ingredients

4 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
1 cup crushed peppermint candy canes
Directions

1.In a heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, half-and-half, sugar and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160 degrees F and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Place pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla and peppermint extract. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

2.Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Stir in peppermint candy. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.



Now how's that for the Christmas spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails