12 June 2010

Does This Mean That I'm a Cannibal?


Every time I watch this part of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, I start to crave blueberries. . .



. . .which may mean that I don't understand what I'm watching.  Or maybe it means that I love to eat fruit, and that I'm also a cannibal?  I'm sure we can extrapolate plenty from my desire to eat blueberries after witnessing human suffering (or from the fact that I still, as an adult, watch and enjoy Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and then have bad dreams about it), but I don't care. 

Because today I made blueberry frozen yogurt, and it was delicious. 

It also afforded me the opportunity to use the ice cream maker for the third time in a week. 

And it's also pretty.

Blueberry frozen yogurt, stolen from this recipe on Tasty Kitchen

It tastes like it's bad for you when it's not, and hopefully it'll keep me from having to eat children (a la "A Modest Proposal"). 

Here's the recipe, adapted from Tasty Kitchen's:

Ingredients

Two cups of Greek yogurt
Two cups of blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

Add yogurt, sugar and blueberries to your blender and blend until smooth. If you’re using frozen berries, it may take a little coaxing to get them all blended. If it doesn’t “want” to blend, shut off the blender and move the contents around a little with a wooden spoon or spatula. Remove the spoon, pour in the vanilla, replace the lid and blend again.
If a smooth product is desired, pour and force the yogurt base through a stainless steel, fine mesh strainer. It will take a while, so be prepared! If you like a more rustic yogurt with bits of blueberry and seeds throughout, skip the straining. Either way, you need to refrigerate the base for 2-4 hours prior to freezing.


Pour the yogurt base into your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions. (In my Cuisinart ice cream maker, it took 25 minutes and was ready to serve immediately.) Transfer to a freezer-safe container with a lid. This makes about two quarts.


If you have any yogurt left over, store it tightly packed in the freezer with a piece of plastic wrap laid directly on the surface of the frozen yogurt.

Enjoy!  And don't take chewing gum from strange men. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails