14 June 2010

Pink Grapefruit Sorbet


I'm a grapefruit fiend.  As a teenager, I remember hearing that grapefruit would speed up my metabolism and make me skinny, and wishing that to be true because I would eat grapefruit--like four at a time--for entire meals.  (Did I ever mention that my mom wasn't so much into "the cooking"?)  And when I lived in Florida, we had our own ruby red grapefruit tree.  Our friends, though, had an enormous, so-big-that-if-it-fell-your-house-would-be-a-goner pink grapefruit tree, and it had the best grapefruit--sweet and juicy and a little bit tart.  When the fruit would ripen, my dad would go over to their house with clothesbaskets to take some of the fruit off of their hands, and he and I would together eat them all.  This is probably a reason that we didn't have a problem with scurvy in our household.

And my obsession has continued.  One of my favorite lunches at school is just two grapefruit, and I peel them and eat them like oranges.  I always end up dripping juice down my face, and getting it all over my desk, and I usually close the door while I feed, because it's just not ladylike. 

The second I begin to feel even the slightest bit of sickness, I run to the store for a big jug of Simply Grapefruit, and I drink it all, in about an hour in a half, from a wine glass.  That, my friends, is ladylike.


Nothing's more fun than combining obsessions, so you can imagine my delight when Cassie told me about a recipe for Pink Grapefruit Sorbet in a recent issue of Cooking Light.  A marriage between my favorite citrus obsession and my ice cream maker?  Yes, please.

And it's really good, and really smooth, and really grapefruity, and really refreshing.

So, if you're a fan of the grapefruit as I am, or if you're trying to fight off a cold or scurvy, or if you find yourself sweating like a whore in church during this heat wave, I'd suggest whipping up a batch of this sorbet.

Pink Grapefruit Sorbet, from Cooking Light
Ingredients
3 cups fresh pink grapefruit juice (about 4 grapefruits), divided  (I just used the Simply Grapefruit juice)
3/4 cup sugar


Preparation
1. Combine 1/2 cup grapefruit juice and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.


2. Combine the sugar mixture and the remaining 2 1/2 cups grapefruit juice in a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate until chilled.


3. Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer, and freeze the mixture according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon the sorbet into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze for 1 hour or until the sorbet is firm.

And did I mention that it's from Cooking Light?  So maybe grapefruit will make me skinny? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails