24 February 2010

The Glass Is Half-full of Cashew Chicken.

I love my life. It needs to be said more often.

I love how I am getting better at my job, and how shitty days at work (like today) are much less shitty than the shitty days of yesteryear.

I love that I have a Target five minutes from my house.

I love that I have a cuddly, amazing dog. If you haven't figured it out, I am obsessed with the dog.

I love that I have a not-as-cuddly, yet just as amazing husband. I don't want to gush too much or become like someone that I would hate and judge, but you should know that I might be even more obsessed with Matt than I am with Mitch.

And I love that, after a shitty day at work, I can go to Target and then come home and take a family snuggle nap with said dog and said husband.

And then I can wake up and talk to an old friend on the phone, discuss our shitty days and how much we hate the public at large.

And then Matt and I can cook dinner while watching crappy television. Hello, American Idol! (Go Brad Pitt looking guy, Andrew Garcia, and Todrick!)

And I love that we have learned to cook.

And I loved our dinner tonight. And I loved that I ate an obscene amount of it and it was only 750 calories.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, cashew chicken.

There's basmatti under there. Mmmmmmmmmm, carbohydrates. . .

Cashew Chicken
from Everyday Food (September 2009)

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons dry sherry (or cooking wine, or leave out)
2 tsp. minced, peeled, fresh ginger (we used 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger)
3 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
coarse salt
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2/3 cup unsalted cashews, toasted
2 green onions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced

Directions

In a medium bowl, toss chicken with sherry, ginger, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch; season with salt. Refrigerate 30 minutes. In another bowl, combine broth, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Set sauce aside.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a covered plate. Add 1 teaspoon oil to skillet and cook remaining chicken (reduce heat if chicken is over-browning). Transfer to plate.

To same skillet, add 1 teaspoon oil, garlic, cashews, and green onion whites. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic begins to soften, about 30 seconds. Whisk sauce and add to skillet along with chicken. Cook until sauce thickens, about 30 seconds. Top with green onion greens and serve with rice or noodles.

Serves 4.
(Serves three if you're fatties like us.)

To read more about it, check out The Bitten Word's (new favorite food blog) post on it. Their review of the recipe mirrored what Matt and I talked about, eerily so even. But after reading their post I feel like I would be plagiarizing if I went into more detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails